SECTION 1 – WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION?
When you use our website, as part of the purchase process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
When you browse our website, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our website, new products and other updates.
How can I access my personal information?
At your request, we will let you know what personal information we have in our possession about you, what it is being used for, and to whom it has been disclosed. If you require access to your personal information please contact us by calling (250) 995-9250 or by mail to Customer Service, 95 Esquimalt Rd, Victoria, BC V9A 3K8.
We will respond to your request within the time period prescribed by law. You may be requested to provide satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement to access your personal information. We will provide you with access to your personal information that is in our possession, subject to certain exceptions. For example, we may not provide you with your personal information where the information is subject to solicitor-client privilege or consists of references to other persons or proprietary information that cannot be severed from the record. There may be reasonable costs associated with your request.
How can I correct and update my personal information?
We strive to keep the personal information in our possession or control accurate, complete, current and relevant, based on the most recent information available to us. If you would like to correct the accuracy of any personal information we have about you, you may modify your information using tools available to you by contacting us at (250) 995-9250 or by mail to Customer Service, 95 Esquimalt Rd, Victoria, BC V9A 3K8.
If you have provided information about yourself in order to receive emails or product mailings and would like to modify your information, please contact one of our Customer Service Representatives by calling (250) 995-9250 or by mail to Customer Service, 95 Esquimalt Rd, Victoria, BC V9A 3K8.
How long is my personal information retained?
BMW Victoria will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws.
Do you share information with others?
Like other companies, we share information with our affiliated companies, third-party service providers, BMW retailer networks, and certain business partners (list available upon request) in order to conduct our business activities and to protect our rights. For example we share information with these other entities for the purposes of:
1. Delivery of Products and Services
- Delivering products and services to you on our behalf, including warranty services and roadside assist services.
- Arranging for a purchase or lease quote or a test-drive.
- Assisting us with servicing and processing your credit account and verifying credit worthiness.
2. Customer Relations
- Administering our marketing promotions, including contests and email campaigns.
- Managing our interest-based advertising and website personalization programs.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of our products and services.
3. Protecting Our Business and Fulfilling Our Legal Obligations
- Detecting and preventing fraud.
- Enforcing contractual or other legal obligations.
- Locating and repossessing a leased or financed vehicle exported from Canada in violation of agreements.
- Responding to court orders, warrants and subpoenas or lawful requests for information by government institutions, including the police.
- Filing reports with government institutions where we are required by law to do so or we have grounds to suspect a breach of a law.
- Obtaining legal advice for BMW Group Canada, its affiliated companies or BMW Retailers.
We may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires us or all or a portion of our assets, personal information that we collected from you may be shared with that entity. The information will be shared for the purpose of that entity considering whether to enter into the transaction and also to complete the transaction.
Our websites may include links to other websites outside of BMW Group Canada. We are not responsible for the content, links or privacy practices of those websites. We provide access to these linked sites for your convenience only and you access them at your own risk. However, we welcome any comments you may have regarding these linked websites.
SECTION 2 – CONSENT
How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with personal information via an inquiry, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.
How do I withdraw my consent?
SECTION 3 – DISCLOSURE
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so.
If you use your credit card to reserve a vehicle or order parts or a service, then BMW Victoria stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted.
All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our website and its service providers.
SECTION 4 – THIRD-PARTY SERVICES
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your purchase-related transactions.
For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in a different jurisdiction than either you or us. So if you elect to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
As an example, if you are located in Canada and your transaction is processed by a payment gateway located in the United States, then your personal information used in completing that transaction may be subject to disclosure under United States legislation, including the Patriot Act.
When you click on links on our website, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
SECTION 5 – SECURITY
To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
If you provide us with your credit card information, the information is encrypted. Although no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure, we follow all PCI-DSS requirements and implement additional generally accepted industry standards.
SECTION 6 – COOKIES
Here is a list of cookies that we use. We’ve listed them here so you that you can choose if you want to opt-out of cookies or not.
_session_id, unique token, sessional, Allows BMW Victoria to store information about your session (referrer, landing page, etc).
BMW Victoria visit, no data held, Persistent for 30 minutes from the last visit. Used by our website provider’s internal stats tracker to record the number of visits.
BMW Victoria uniq, no data held, expires midnight (relative to the visitor) of the next day, Counts the number of visits to a website by a single customer.
_secure_session_id, unique token, sessional
SECTION 7 – ADVERTISING POLICY
1. Ensure any ad data collected, received or derived from your Facebook or Instagram ad (“Facebook advertising data”) is only shared with someone acting on your behalf, such as your service provider. You are responsible for ensuring your service providers protect any Facebook advertising data or any other information obtained from us, limit their use of all of that information, and keep it confidential and secure.
2. Don’t use Facebook advertising data for any purpose (including retargeting, commingling data across multiple advertisers’ campaigns, or allowing piggybacking or redirecting with tags), except on an aggregate and anonymous basis (unless authorized by Facebook) and only to assess the performance and effectiveness of your Facebook advertising campaigns.
3. Don’t use Facebook advertising data, including the targeting criteria for your ad, to build, append to, edit, influence, or augment user profiles, including profiles associated with any mobile device identifier or other unique identifier that identifies any particular user, browser, computer or device.
4. Don’t transfer any Facebook advertising data (including anonymous, aggregate, or derived data) to any ad network, ad exchange, data broker or other advertising or monetization related service.
SECTION 8 – AGE OF CONSENT
By using this site, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence, or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence and you have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use this site.
If our website is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to sell products to you.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact us at or mail to us at 95 Esquimalt Road, Victoria, BC, V9A 3K8.
Last update: 2019-12-16